Saturday, April 22, 2023

Portraits of writers, part 1

For my first post of Portraits of Writers, I'll begin with this wonderful shot, to celebrate J. P. Donleavy's birthday today.

J.P. Donleavy by Stephen Hyde, 1983. National Portrait Gallery, London 




Henry James by Frederic D'Arcis, 1913




Simone de Beauvoir by Gisèle Freund, Paris, 1954. This was taken the day she won the Prix Goncourt.




P.D. James by Dudley Reed, 1983




C.L.R. James by Val Wilmer, 1975




Doris Lessing by Ida Kar, late 1950s




Doris Lessing by Lord Snowdon, 1992. I couldn't decide which Lessing portrait I preferred, so I went ahead and used them both.




Edna St. Vincent Millay by Henrietta Seitner Krohn, 1919. Smithsonian National Portrait Gallery




W. H. Auden by Yousuf Karsh, 1972. 

Karsh remembered this last session with Auden, in Stephen Spender's garden:
"Come soon, come soon," he invited, but I knew I would never see him again.




Anaïs Nin by Irving Penn, 1971




Larry McMurtry by Michael O'Brien, 1997





Katherine Mansfield by John Herbert Folker, 1917




James Baldwin by Maria Austria, Netherlands, 1965




H. D. by Man Ray, c. 1925




Jack Kerouac by John Cohen, 1959. He's listening to himself on the radio.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Album Cover Portraits by Lotte Meitner-Graf

I was so impressed when I discovered the portraits of Lotte Meitner-Graf , who made wonderful photographs of artistic and scientific worthie...