Sunday, January 1, 2023

Elliott Landy portraits

 My favourite Elliott Landy portraits.


Bob Dylan outside his Byrdcliffe home in Woodstock, New York, 1968. This is one of Elliott Landy's great shots with infrared film.



Another infrared shot by Elliott Landy, of Levon Helm, from 1968



Joe Cocker at Woodstock, by Elliott Landy, 1969



Grace Slick: a ‘camera dance’ by Elliott Landy, 1968



Janis Joplin by Elliott Landy, Anderson Theater, New York, 1968



Richard Manuel by Elliott Landy, 1969



Elliott Landy took this shot of Bob Dylan in 1969 for the Nashville Skyline album.

"He said: 'Do you think I should wear this hat in the photograph?' I said: 'I don't know.' And as I was saying it, I took a picture of him just starting to put the hat on. It was very spontaneous."



Of all the shots Elliott Landy took of Janis Joplin at Woodstock in 1969, this is my favourite. I like to think of Janis as a mythical figure, perhaps a Siren. According to Hyginus, Sirens were fated to live only until the mortals who heard their songs were able to pass by them.



Elliott Landy catches Janis Joplin going to, or coming back from, another dimension.



Another Elliott Landy infrared shot, of John Lee Hooker, from 1969



Bob Dylan in his Byrdcliffe home, Woodstock, New York, 1969



Elliott Landy was one of the official photographers at the Woodstock Festival in 1969. This sets the stage: before the rain came!



Johnny Winter performs on Day 2 at Woodstock



Here's Elliott Landy at Woodstock, in a shot by Amalie R. Rothschild.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Album Cover Portraits by Lotte Meitner-Graf

I was so impressed when I discovered the portraits of Lotte Meitner-Graf , who made wonderful photographs of artistic and scientific worthie...